Thursday, January 4, 2018

What do I want to get out of this class?

What do I want to get out of this class?

It's a simple question, but difficult to answer, at least for me. I primarily took this course because there wasn't anything else interesting to take for my last quarter that I haven't done already. But I also have an urge to go out and my own and try to start a company myself. Which is why I'm here. To better understand the business side of the tech industry and how I could use it to make something of my own.

I've never had much of a mind for business. I had taken some Intro to Business type of courses in the past at other schools, but they never seemed to peak my curiosity that much. It wasn't until last summer that I really started to think more about my future and what I wanted to do with my life after graduation.

I've known I wanted to be a Software Developer for a long time, that much I'm sure of. I have other big hobbies like writing and wrestling, but there's something about coding that gets my heart racing. The feeling of finally solving a hair-pulling bug is the best thing in the world. It's like a giant weight has been lifted off your shoulders and you're proud of yourself, because you were able to solve it. Through all the desperation and hopelessness that's been screaming at you in the back of your mind when coming against a deadline, being able to fix that one problem and see the screen light up with the correct solution is unlike any feeling I've had before.

But that's beside the point of the question. The reason I bring this up is so you know why I'm here to learn about Computer Science, and how passionate I am about it. I've always wanted to get out into the real world and test my mettle in the industry.

At the end of last Spring quarter, my then-girlfriend came home from a study abroad trip in London. Shortly after she came back, I proposed. It was a hectic few weeks once that was done. I had to find a job during the summer in order to save up money for our move to New York City after I graduate (that's where her Master's program is), our wedding, and tuition for my last two quarters. Fortunately, I was able to find work for a concrete planter manufacturing company as a laborer. I didn't like it very much, but it gave me what I needed. It was the most tiring job I've ever had, didn't pay very much, and I worked long hours. All in all, it wasn't a pleasant experience. But that's just what you have to do sometimes.

The thing about it though was it was a local business. There was the owner (who had the company in his family for years), my manager, and myself. They were both alright to work with, but what left such a mark on me was how much freedom they had. It was inspiring to sit and listen to the owner talk about the process of running his business, the experiences he and his dad had to go through in order to get that place up and running. He told me stories of the business's ups and downs. How he's had to deal with sleazy competitors copying his techniques in order to steal his customers. What he did to get those customers back. Other investments he's made. Properties he was able to afford because of how well the company was doing.

It was my favorite part of the job. There was so much freedom to it. Because I didn't like the job very much, I kept thinking how much better it would have been to be the person running the show. I know that comes with its own hurdles, but it seemed a lot more exciting than from where I was standing. The grass is always greener I guess.

It sparked a curiosity in me to go out and try my hand at building a business. Whether I'm successful or not, only time will tell.

To finish up with my answer to the question, I want to learn how to get a business started. I know I'm taking the wrong degree if I want to really know the ins and outs of the company world, but my biggest concern for the future is how to even get something going in the first place. Who do I have to know? How do I get the money to begin development? What product am I going to make? How do I convince someone to believe in my vision for this organization and support me financially? How does marketing even work? What can I do to make my solution stand out from the competition. That's a lot to figure out in one quarter, but I'm hoping to be able to answer at least some of those as I go through this class.

Cheers,
Connor Lundberg








No comments:

Post a Comment