Monday, February 19, 2018

How will you protect your intellectual property?

When CarTalk eventually goes public (wink, wink) I want that name to be mine. The first thing I'd do is to trademark and copyright everything. It'll start with the name and logo, but over time it'll be other icons and designs like the color scheme. I wouldn't want any cheap knock-off to market themselves as my product because I was too lazy to file my copyrights.

While I'm doing that, I'll have to patent my Bluetooth algorithms. Because what CarTalk is going to do is so outside the realm of what's going in the Bluetooth world right now, the safest thing to do would be to talk to a patent attorney asap and file as quickly as possible. Considering it's a new market, I'll have competitors as soon as I start seeing growth. Having a patent for my system will make it so no other competitors can build theirs' like mine. That'll be a major advantage since they will be forced to adopt a new approach just to have a product in the market. This will take time and money, during which CarTalk will continue to expand into new regions of the country.

Lastly, I'll have to keep said algorithms secret. While having the patent will be a huge advantage, the problem with code is that it doesn't take much effort to change up an algorithm and label it as "new". In order for the patent to be as effective as it can in protecting my IP, I'll have to keep my code base and techniques as guarded as I can. That means only hiring engineers dedicated to the mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment